The Somaiya Center for Experiential Learning (SCEL) is an initiative of the Somaiya Vidyavihar. This initiative embodies Somaiya Vidyavihar’s commitment to the holistic growth of students.
The Somaiya Center for Experiential Learning was established on 1st November 2014 to provide immersive learning experiences in the areas of Environmental Sustainability and Heritage Conservation for students, teachers, corporates and different sections of the society.
The Center designs and facilitates immersive learning programmes that enables participants to be curious, creative, think critically and feel empowered to participate in issues that affect the community and the world around them.
The Center draws upon educational theories such as place-based education, experiential learning, contextual learning, constructivism and service-based learning, to create unique experiences for participants to further their learning goals.
The mission of the Center is to foster pro-conservation behavior by engaging, inspiring and increasing awareness among individuals and organisations.
The Center seeks to be:
- A catalyst in inspiring learning beyond classrooms and tests
- An incubator for experimentation, and innovation in learning pedagogies
- A hub that connects educators, parents, artists, scientists, thinkers and leaders
- A forum for brainstorming and sharing of ideas & challenges in teaching & learning
- A resource that helps nourish and support the existing education system
- An agent of change in transforming education to be more holistic